Wednesday, October 30, 2013

What Life with Twins Looks Like


Feeding: I tandem breast feed for about 8 hours out of each day. During the day they eat every 2 1/2 hours, and only once during the night. If one wakes up to eat, then the other has to get woken up too in order to keep them on the same feeding schedule. I have had days when they were not on the same feeding schedule and it was absolutely exhausting...I fed babies for three hours straight in the morning and four hours straight in the afternoon with a one hour break for lunch. And no, tandem feeding is not very fun...it can be quite stressful...with one crying because he wants to keep eating and the other spitting up on me. But it is well worth all the effort.

Changing: We go through at least 16 diapers and two outfit changes a day. We do two FULL loads of their laundry twice a week.

Sleeping: Up until now they have been sleeping from 9pm to 1:30am and then again until 5:30am. Last night they made a 7 hours stretch of sleep...I hoping it's the start of a new trend.

Playing: They cry for almost all of their tummy time in the morning. They are starting to smile, coo, and look at me a lot more.

Me: I have been getting about 5 1/2 hours of broken sleep every night. I rarely get to nap in the day because they don't always nap at the same time. I try to get one house chore done a day...but that doesn't always happen. I basically spend the weekdays sitting on my couch feeding babies, or trying to get some food and water in me to keep me going. On weekends Samuel and I try to take the boys out of the house for a few hours...and no...there's no way to discreetly breast feed in public...so we bring bottles. At this point I don't feel quite like myself. I am always kind of drained both physically and emotionally.  Between lack of sleep, hormones, and breast feeding, I don't have a lot of stamina.

ALL THAT TO SAY....these are precious boys that take a whole lot of energy meet their little needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment